The FAA Virtual Labs was created to provide not only training, but reinforce guidelines, but also recondition existing incorrect practices, for more reliable battery maintenance operation through proper operational and maintenance practices.
The Battery Maintenance Project consisted of 3 large PEs. All the labs were connected by a central hob, a large futuristic 3 story building which allowed the user to do any exercise they chose. The project was fully voice acted, with instructional tutorials, feedback, & hints.
- Models – Maya.
- Textures -Quixel & Photoshop .
- UI – created in Photoshop & illustrator.
- Game Engine – Unity 4.
- Render Pipeline – Unity Legacy
- Scripting Language – C#
FAA virtual Labs is a first-person adventure-style simulation which consists of one playable character and one NPC. Delivered via the Unity Web player through SCORM, its purpose is to provide the player with virtual hands on experience performing the vital actions and procedures of the battery maintenance processes.
- 4 Game modes
- Provide the equivalent of real word experience
- SCORM compliant
- Deliver project file under 30mb
- Aesthetically pleasing/impressive
- Smooth framerate
- Showcase high-quality equipment models
Convert three of the existing resident course labs into an eLearning format that meets the training requirements for the FAA Standby Battery Maintenance learning objectives. The final product shall conform to the FAA Standby Battery Maintenance course’s field configuration of equipment and its courseware requirements.
- On rails tutorial – The player will watch a video or ingame cutscene that will take them through the appropriate safety and maintenance procedures.
- Guided Practice – The player will be guided through a on-rail walkthrough of the appropriate battery safety and maintenance procedures.
- Sandbox – A visual point driven free roaming mode which the player must perform the appropriate safety and maintenance actions as well as input the correct data gathered from those actions. The NPC SOFIA will assist the player with verbal corrective feedback and tips/Hints if necessary. This mode will also feature randomized asset and tool placement.
- Graded Practice – The final Game mode that will only be accessible after completing the Sandbox mode. The Graded Practice is a tested non-visual point based game mode that is stripped of all assistance and visual feedback. It will output the player performance to SCORM and on the end score screen.